Welcome to my blog!

Michigan is a perfect garden spot. The springs and falls are glorious, the summers get hot (but not extreme) with plenty of rain, the winters are cold (again, not extreme) with plenty of beautiful snow and lots of down time to plan next year's gardens. The soil here is sandy and a tiny bit alkaline. If I had a wish it would be for more loamy soil and shorter winters but oh well!

I had long grown daylilies but discovered the incredible advancements in variety of form, color, and accents about 7 years ago and started buying more. I have about 350 varieties at the moment. I hybridize my own seedlings and have a large seedling bed. My garden here is relatively new (moved in 2008) but getting established.


It's tempting to plant beds with only my favorite flower but it's the combinations with other plants that make a garden beautiful so I'm careful to keep the entire composition in mind so that my garden is beautiful spring through frost.



Gardening is a lot of work - but how nice to come home after a busy day and forget my cares for a while by immersing my mind in maintaining beauty.




Monday, February 12, 2007

A Brain Vein Drain (Cavernous Angioma)

“The MRI detected a mass in your brain.”


I heard these words a little more than two years ago, in January 2005, a few days after sudden and severe double vision sent me to an emergency room. They began my odyssey with a Cavernous Angioma, or CA.


Let me tell you a little bit about CAs. CAs, also known as Cerebral Cavernous Malformation, or as Cavernoma, are clusters of abnormal blood veins in the brain or the spinal column. A typical CA looks somewhat like a raspberry, and can range in size from microscopic to inches in diameter. It is made of multiple little bubbles (or caverns) filled with blood and lined by a single layer of cells called endothelium. These cells are similar to those that line normal blood vessels, but the bubble-like structures of a cavernous angioma are leaky and lack the other layers of a normal blood vessel wall.


Some are present from birth; but 20 percent of people with CA have a type which runs in families, and those with this variety usually have multiple CAs that develop anytime. Experts say one person in every 200 has at least one CA and of that, only a third show symptoms.


Most CAs will not cause symptoms unless they bleed, and most bleed so slowly they are not life threatening unless they are in the brainstem. And the good thing, if you know you have one and it hasn’t bled, you can lessen your chances of a bleed by simply being careful – you can avoid blood thinners, you can avoid roller coasters, you can keep your blood pressure low.


CAs were known to medical science back in the late 1800s but are being found more frequently now because of the widespread use of Magnetic Resonance Imagry, or MRIs. Previously, CAs were found during surgery or more commonly, autopsies! CAT scans and Angiograms seldom detect them and the symptoms are often misdiagnosed. What’s the first thing you think of when you hear of someone having seizures? Epilepsy. With headaches? Migraines. Vision problems, nerve problems, balance problems? Multiple Sclerosis. These are symptoms of bleeding CAs.


Symptoms depend on the location. CAs in the front of the brain can cause seizures. In my case the CA is in my brainstem. Although my swallowing, breathing, and heartbeat could have been affected by that location, the double vision was my only apparent symptom until the surgery.


The treatment – watch and wait, or brain surgery. There have been attempts with a concentrated laser beam, called a gamma knife, but the success rate is very low and the risks of damaging surrounding tissue are very high.


At the time, I didn’t have to make the tough decision between the real dangers of surgery with a likelihood of permanent deficits, and “watch and wait” for the possibility of another bleed, with a chance of the same permanent deficits. Even though my CA was in a bad area, surgery was necessary since I was being treated for DVT, a leg blood clot. My blood had to be thinned to treat the clot, and to prevent further clots, which was the exact opposite of what was recommended for “watch and wait.”


I‘m not going to recount the surgery. I think everybody who has had any surgery knows the fear, pain, and gratitude for support.


I could not stand unassisted when I left the hospital and couldn’t walk unassisted for weeks. I kept a calendar onto which I wrote each victory; from being able to shower on my own, to carrying a cup of coffee into the living room, to graduating from a walker to a cane. The steps of progress, every single one, were celebrated. Unfortunately, the recovery has been frustratingly long and a matter of two steps forward, one step back. The brain heals very slowly. I still have double vision, which is corrected by prisms in my glasses. I have balance issues and general right side shakiness. I freeze up when stressed and have moments when the brain doesn’t seem to make a connection. At this point I have no idea if my deficits will be permanent or not, but compared to what could have gone wrong with surgery in the brainstem area, I consider myself lucky to be able to breathe, swallow, and walk! Sure, there are some things I can no longer do, but at least I can live and work more or less normally, though it’s tempting to wear a t-shirt saying” I am not drunk.”


Follow-up MRIs show that the part they couldn’t get is expanding. At first I was very angry . . . and scared. It took a few days to get to a better spot, emotionally. They took out what was bleeding and what is left is not bleeding and may never bleed. And if it does, well, I’ll just have to deal with it.


Because I now know that I can face almost anything. I owe everything to the incredible support I was given by family, friends, and coworkers, especially my best friend and husband, Bob, who left a job in another state and came back to care for me. He is gone again and I was terrified to let him go. Letting him go was another positive step in my own recovery. You have to keep reaching for your goals.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hy louise:

I've read your trouble with cavernous agioma, My son 27 years old has been with this dissease since 8 years ago and he has underwent gamma knife treatment twice, first time when he was first diagnosed and two years ago because ha needed another treatment in the bigger CA without any trouble or side effects. We live in Guatemala, Central America and we had gone with Dr. Iziak Wolff at Baptist Health Doctors Hospital in Coral Gables Miami. You can reach this web page for more information www.brain-tumor-surgery.com or www.baptisthealth.net
www.miamineursciencecenter.com
if you need any help, tell me.
God bless you.

Gotta Garden said...

Oh my. I had no idea. You are an inspiration! And, just look at this garden...you are amazing! Now, you'll have online friends, too. You are so brave. Take care now.

EvanDouglas said...

Many different conditions can affect veins and arteries that supply blood to the brain and spinal cord. These conditions are rarely found in children.

veins