Welcome to my blog!

Michigan is a perfect garden spot. The springs and falls are glorious, the summers get hot (but not extreme) with plenty of rain, the winters are cold (again, not extreme) with plenty of beautiful snow and lots of down time to plan next year's gardens. The soil here is sandy and a tiny bit alkaline. If I had a wish it would be for more loamy soil and shorter winters but oh well!

I had long grown daylilies but discovered the incredible advancements in variety of form, color, and accents about 7 years ago and started buying more. I have about 350 varieties at the moment. I hybridize my own seedlings and have a large seedling bed. My garden here is relatively new (moved in 2008) but getting established.


It's tempting to plant beds with only my favorite flower but it's the combinations with other plants that make a garden beautiful so I'm careful to keep the entire composition in mind so that my garden is beautiful spring through frost.



Gardening is a lot of work - but how nice to come home after a busy day and forget my cares for a while by immersing my mind in maintaining beauty.




Sunday, March 18, 2007

Spring (almost)

This says it well and applies to Michigan as well as the South!

Summer in the South

The Oriole sings in the greening grove
As if he were half-way waiting,
The rosebuds peep from their hoods of green,
Timid, and hesitating.
The rain comes down in a torrent sweep
And the nights smell warm and piney,
The garden thrives, but the tender shoots
Are yellow-green and tiny.
Then a flash of sun on a waiting hill,
Streams laugh that erst were quiet,
The sky smiles down with a dazzling blue
And the woods run mad with riot.

Paul Laurence Dunbar

1 comment:

Passionate Gardener said...

Hello,

I'm a lower southeast Michigan gardener, and I'm looking for other garden blogs to connect with. I can't wait to get out in the garden because this has been a long winter.

Here is the link to my new blog if you're interested.(have absolutely no experience in blogging)I've been gardening for over 15 years and my husband and I have done everything ourselves including the hard scaping.

www.delightfuleclecticabode.com/

Sandy