Welcome to my blog!

Michigan is a perfect garden spot. The springs and falls are glorious, the summers get hot (but not extreme) with plenty of rain, the winters are cold (again, not extreme) with plenty of beautiful snow and lots of down time to plan next year's gardens. The soil here is sandy and a tiny bit alkaline. If I had a wish it would be for more loamy soil and shorter winters but oh well!

I had long grown daylilies but discovered the incredible advancements in variety of form, color, and accents about 7 years ago and started buying more. I have about 350 varieties at the moment. I hybridize my own seedlings and have a large seedling bed. My garden here is relatively new (moved in 2008) but getting established.


It's tempting to plant beds with only my favorite flower but it's the combinations with other plants that make a garden beautiful so I'm careful to keep the entire composition in mind so that my garden is beautiful spring through frost.



Gardening is a lot of work - but how nice to come home after a busy day and forget my cares for a while by immersing my mind in maintaining beauty.




Sunday, January 25, 2009

Moving a Garden

Can't believe it, but over an entire growing season, I was not able to get all plants from my old garden to new. It didn't help of course that I work full time and commuted an hour each way. It also didn't help that the soil in the new place was almost all sand - a soil analysis showed only 2% organics - and large amounts of compost had to be hauled and tilled in before any planting could be done. Then I started digging, hauling, planting. Over and over until late June when the plants started to die rather than transplant. They didn't appreciate having their roots molested in the heat and dryness of summer. And yes it was dry. We went months without rain which was unusual for Michigan.

When I couldn't plant, I spent every available moment fighting the weeds which had gotten away from me while I was trying to move, and mulching. In September, I resumed moving but ran out of weather before plants! Luckily my nephew bought our old home so I can go back to get my daylily seedlings and a few plants in the main garden which are still there.

1 comment:

Lona said...

I love the flower beds in your pictures. The lilies are so pretty.
When you think about how long it takes us to put our flower beds together, tearing it apart in a season and putting it back is quite a task.
Lona